Wednesday

If You Make It, You Make It. If You Don't, You Don't

My friend’s a doctor. How cool is that?

I know her since pre-school and more specifically, she wants to be a cardio surgeon.
I’m actually going to know a cardio surgeon when she and I grow up...you know, more than we already have.

The roads weren’t always as smooth as they were for us, in pre-school and we had our share of differences (vast differences), but we made it through like good friends do.
Regardless, as interesting as that might seem, that is not what this blog is about. It is about just being satisfied in life and how that is so underrated.

I have a point, I promise.

You see, when you are in pre-school it’s okay to be really smart. She was the smart kid, I was the talkative one. When you hit junior high, you’re still discovering yourself- after KG, She and I parted ways and then I saw her again in Grade 4. By then it had been four good, long years and I was trying to be someone else, she hadn’t changed...and my change had confused her and kept her out in the dark.

What was I trying to be?
Well, my mentor in becoming someone else was a mean, cold-hearted girl who I believe had forever changed me for the worst, encouraging me to make fun of other people and do things I wouldn’t normally do. She was pretty and confident, that works on 8 year olds, believe me.
Anyway, as we became seniors, like most kids my age, I had come to my senses and gone back to being her childhood friend and we’ve been tight ever since.
I’d changed a lot; she had remained the same- cruelly honest, socially confused, insanely book smart.

Now she’s becoming a doctor, an amazing profession which requires not only brains but also confidence, nerves, and the strength to make the right choices and save someone’s life...
And she says her life is okay.
She could say being smart changed everything, now she's on a road to success, whilst everyone around her struggles for an identity but not my friend.
She's just okay.

That’s what this post is about.
We live in an over achieving world, I think, where people get ahead of themselves, trying to be more than what they actually can. Well, they say, you’ll never know unless you try...but what people don’t realise is that trying wears you out.

Why can’t we just be okay?
Why is being satisfied with life, so fucking underrated?
Why do we always have to be extremely happy and content, otherwise nothing?
Why can't we figure out life as we go along? Do we really need to know all the answers now?
I think the reason why people today are so competitive is because they are trying so hard, not to be the best that they are, but to prove that they are the best.

I wish there was a big sign that reads, ‘No proof required, just be the best you can be’.
No proof, no recognition.
Just plain, honest, hard working people trying to make a day at a time trying to reach where they have to reach.
Not too far ahead, where they forget where they started from or why, not too slow either...

Just okay, just satisfied.

PS- To my amazing doctor friend, I love you and thank you for not being a stuck up, over achiever in everything you do, even though you could achieve anything you wanted to in this world.

PPS- Suck it, over achievers =)

1 comment:

Anand Lobo said...

In a similar fashion:
Why must we be Indian? Or American? Or Haitian, Spanish, Azerbaijani, Tibetan, Burmese, Polish, or anything ... why can't we be citizens of the world?

The you can ignore the above if it makes no sense, it's what popped into my head and I had to type it.

I see what you mean, though, and I agree wholeheartedly.