Thursday

Trolololol

The internet is perhaps the best place in the world today, to communicate a message effectively, to a vast number of people, at the same time.
Take this blog post for instance. I want to spread awareness about internet bullies and the damage they cause to society, so I’ll write it all out here, and then when I press send- it will automatically send itself out to the internet.
So yes, it’s a great way to inform people, speak out a loud and possess a strong voice, if you are incapable of reaching a large audience physically.

However, let’s not be naive and assume that this mode of communication is entirely effective. Because let’s face it, it’s not.
Like everything in this world, the internet does have its wide range of downfalls (Paedophiles, I am not pointing at you). The latest one in producing messages is the art of trolling.

Who are trolls/What is trolling?
I’ll state three to four website, so that I can assure you’ll some credibility:
1) A troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion – Wikipedia




2) Being a prick on the internet because you can – Urban Dictionary

3) To utter a posting on Usenet designed to attract predictable responses or flames. Derives from the phrase "trolling for newbies, which in turn comes from mainstream "trolling", a style of fishing in which one trails bait through a likely spot hoping for a bite – urban75.com

My favourite definition however of a troll, is one I found on a website called ‘Know Your Meme’. The definition is as follows:

‘A troll is someone who will state something only with the intention of stirring up controversy. Typically the statement is so absurd that only the most noobish of noobs will get offended and respond’.
It is quite sad of me to admit, but I will nonetheless, that I have in fact been the most noobish of noobs. But that is exactly why I am writing this post.

Over the past few weeks in particular, I find some of my good friends have been running around the internet, claiming to be ‘trolls’. Of course, being the ignorant little bug I am (or perhaps because I have a life apart from the internet, is another way of looking at it) I was unaware of such terminology.

My boyfriend, who is more than well-researched in his life, then, ran me through what exactly trolling was. And of course, needless to say, I found it fascinating but quite sad at the same time.
What was fascinating was that more than seldom, people were using the term entirely wrong in comparison to what they were actually doing. And well, we can all figure out the sad part about being a bully on the internet- that’s like taking part in an online beauty pageant.

Anyway, so after engaging in several, time-consuming, useless discussions/arguments with these so called ‘trolls’, I decided to surf the web and research on the topic.
Here’s a quick summary provided for you guys, and you can click on the website link here, if you're interested to know the whole story:

In the late 1980s, Internet users adopted the word “troll” to denote someone who intentionally disrupts online communities.
Professor Judith Donath explains troll employ something called a “pseudo-naïve” tactic, asking stupid questions and seeing who would rise to the bait.
As our emotional investment in the Internet has grown, the stakes for trolling — for provoking strangers online — have risen. Trolling has evolved from ironic solo skit to vicious group hunt.


So what are we going to do about that?
I, being one hell of an angry and feisty person, used to constantly reply back to these faux trolls. I wasn’t learned of the issue, and so I only found it weird that they used to refer to themselves as one. I mean, who voluntarily calls themselves a troll, unless they want to be known as one, right?
Right.

Well, had I not read up on this new internet phenomena, then I would have probably continued to 'feed the troll' as they put it, because I’m not one to keep quiet (Do I sound 50 years old? Cause I feel 50 years old).
But anyway, now I know better.

Trolls must be sad people, constantly on the internet, swapping their real faces for ‘troll/cool faces’, living their lonely lives vicariously through the internet.
Commenting on FB statuses, wall posts, forums gives them the ‘illusion of power’ as one website puts it, because ‘they are unable to distinguish between irritation and admiration; their ego grows directly in proportion to the response, regardless of the form or content of that response,’.

What’s my final conclusion on this issue?
Whether trolls or faux trolls, it is safe to ignore them.
Any comment(s) that you deem would result in a fuck load of unnecessary responses, ignore ignore ignore.

No comments: